From 07 to 08 May 2010, a training workshop on Agriculture and Land Use Greenhouse Gas Inventory was held at Melia hotel. Participants coming to the workshop were those from Institutes under MARD, VNFOREST, Forestry University of Vietnam and relevant agencies. The workshop was chaired by Dr. Nguyen Ba Ngai – Deputy General Director of VNFOREST and facilitated by Mr. Leandro V. Buendia – Coordinator of the project “Regional Capacity Building for Sustainable National Greenhouse Gas Inventory Management Systems in Southeast Asia, Phase II”.
The workshop mainly delivered instructions and experience of using the software, ALU version 184.108.40.206, in GHGI and land use. The followings were contents covered during the two-day workshop:
- National Greenhouse Gas Inventory (GHGI) in agriculture and Land use, Land-use change and forestry (LULUCF) in Vietnam; (Download)
- Using GHGI software to accommodate IPCC’s guidance in agriculture and land use; (Download)
- Introduction to ALU software for National GHGI and Mitigation analysis (e.g. paddy rice growth); (Download)
- Introduction to activity data (AD) required by LULUCF. AD includes livestock, soil, forestry, crop plants and pasture; (Download)
- Discussion on and planning recommendation for project activities.
Many questions and concerns on the application of the ALU software in Vietnam were raised during the workshop. Most of participants believed that the ALU software is useful and needed to take into account for the application in the incoming time. However, there are a lot of difficulties in the use of this software due to the gaps of input data in livestock, wetland, pasture, etc. Mr. Leandro V. Buendia responded concerns of participants and expressed the willingness to provide technical support to Vietnam in using this ALU.
The workshop was completed timely and achieved expected results. This is the initial training workshop provided deep technical knowledge on the inventory of GHG and land use in Vietnam. (Soucre: Vietnam REDD+ Office)